He turned the big 2-5. Now he is trustworthy enough to drive a rental car!
And because he is the nicest boyfriend in the world, you know what he did on his birthday? He went to a formal work function for his girlfriend. He had to dress up and talk with strangers on his birthday instead of having fun hanging out with his friends. Nicest boyfriend ever!!!
I told him weeks ago to tell me what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday and I'd make it for him. And he kept not choosing and not choosing, and then this week I was like, Seriously choose a cake, and he was like, I don't want a birthday cake, and I was like, What's wrong with you, and he was like, You don't need to make a cake cuz I don't want cake, and I was all, I can't date someone who doesn't desire cake, and he was like, Yeah yeah yeah, and I was like, I'm serious, how can you not want cake, and he was like, Seriously stop talking, and then my head exploded and he was like, Phew. Thank God.
So on Friday, he went out with his friends for his birthday. We went to Chinatown for a hot pot dinner! Luke drove some of us there, and this is a picture of Mike with the new ladle that Luke bought. THEY HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THAT APARTMENT SINCE AUGUST AND JUST NOW GOT A LADLE. Have you ever tried to live without a ladle? It's frustrating. It's also probably the only kitchen utensil they actually own, since almost everything in there is mine that Mike stole from my mom's basement when I was in Taiwan. So, obviously, I felt this was important enough to document.
The server bringing out our food.
After dinner, we went back to Mike and Luke's apartment for some pictionary/charades/balderdash. First we played pictionary/charades, where we wrote down words and phrases for the opposing team, which they could choose to either draw or act out. Ya know what words I got?! "Sinister" and "Unreliable." ?!?!?!?!?!
I chose to act out "sinister," so I did the evil Mr. Burns thing where he hunches over and taps his fingers together. My team immediately said, "Mr. Burns!" and I started to panic, because I had no other plan than to do that for 45 seconds. Then, somehow, three seconds later, my friend Jon shouts, "sinister!" and we were all, "Holy Moses!" He got A LOT of the hard ones, he's some sort of charades super genius.
I felt I had no choice but to draw "unreliable." So I tried to draw a dude being late to meet his friend, but that wasn't working. Running out of time, I gave up and started drawing Rithy (who is notoriously unreliable, no offense, Rithy). Sadly, that didn't work either, but it got a good laugh. Especially because he looked like a grandma in my drawing.
Then we played Balderdash. We don't actually have the game, so we just pass a laptop around and people find obscure words/movies/dates in history/etc. to use in the game. You should do that too, it's fun.
Speaking of laptops, there are moments when I'm at Mike and Luke's apartment, where four of us (Mike, Luke, Rithy, and myself) are all on laptops at the same time in the same room. It feels like some sort of post-modern nightmare. There are three other people to communicate with in the room, but we're all staring silently at magic screens. It's creepy.
So yeah, on Mike's actual birthday, he did homework and went to a formal auction/dinner that my school put on to raise money. I'd love to tell you all about it because I'm DYING to talk about my job and the hilarious things kids say, but I don't think it's appropriate. I will, however, show you how spiffy we looked and the dessert we had. It was a lovely evening!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MIKE! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
1 comment:
I am awesome. :)
Post a Comment