Saturday, March 27, 2010

A New Chicken and Egg Question

Luke: Is anyone having eggs today?

Mike and I: No.

Me: But I have eggs everyday. Ha! And more than you'll ever have.

Mike: Not if I buy a chicken factory.


And so began the worst discussion Mike and I have ever had--who has more eggs: a chicken factory or a woman?

A girl is born with about a million eggs (a fetus has 6-7 million--wow!), at puberty has 300,000 left, and they constantly deplete until menopause. I have been unable to locate information or statistics about the egg output of the average egg factory. Not that I tried very hard, because about three minutes into my research I realized the ridiculousness of this enterprise, abandoned it, and came to this blog.

I guess it depends on the length of time we're measuring in the chicken factory. Are we counting a year's worth of eggs, a month's, a week's? Or are we just saying at any given time a chicken factory has more eggs than a woman? It also depends on the age of the woman. I think that, at any given time, a pubescent girl has more eggs than a chicken factory, but maybe a chicken factory produces more eggs in one year than a pubescent girl has.

Mike of course has done no research to back up his claim, and just sits there contending that his mythical chicken factory will produce more eggs than I have, especially because I "possibly don't have any eggs." This is a future lawyer, relying not on evidence but insults to further his case. He'll be great!

Maybe he'll even be able to afford a chicken factory! Then he too can have eggs everyday. But much fewer than me.

3 comments:

Michael Goldberg said...

The Chinese egg factory DeQingYuan produces 1.5 million eggs per day. Do you produce that much? HA!

dad said...

A baby girl is born with egg cells (oocytes) in her ovaries. Between 16 and 20 weeks of pregnancy, the ovaries of a female fetus contain 6 to 7 million oocytes. Most of the oocytes gradually waste away, leaving about 1 to 2 million present at birth. None develop after birth. At puberty, only about 300,000

Carolyns dad said...

but its still a pretty inane conversation to have, Mike do you really want that many kids?????